How to handle sale of partial lots of stock?

John Schoffstall john.schoffstall at pobox.com
Wed Mar 15 23:38:34 EST 2006

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Um, it should work just fine if you put in the correct gain/loss splits.
> Can you show an example of where it's failing, please?

Create a GnuCash file with Assets, Expense, Income, and Equity accounts. Create a stock account under the Brokerage account, "Digital Datawack" (DWAK). We'll use these accounts:

Assets:Investments:Brokerage
Assets:Investments:Brokerage:DWAK
Expense:Commissions
Income:Capital Gains
Equity:Opening Balances

Enter a transaction for 200 shares of Digital Datawack at $10 a share as an opening balance:

Date       Action Account                           Shares Price Debit Credit
03/14/2006 Buy    Assets:Investments:Brokerage:DWAK 200       10  2000
                  Equity:Opening Balances                                2000

Our balance sheet looks like this:

Assets
Assets                 $0.00
  Investments:      $2000.00
Assets                    $2000.00

Liabilities
Liabilities                  $0.00
Unrealized Gains(Losses)     $0.00

Equity
Equity                 $0.00
  Opening Balances: $2000.00
Retained earnings:           $0.00
Net Profit:                  $0.00
Total Equity:             $2000.00

Liabilities & Equity:     $2000.00

Digital Datawack doubles in a day! We'll lock in profits and sell half our shares:

Date       Action Account	                     Shares Price Debit Credit
03/15/2006 Sell   Assets:Investments:Brokerage                     1995
                  Expenses:Commissions                                5
                  Assets:Investments:Brokerage:DWAK	           1000
                  Assets:Investments:Brokerage:DWAK    -100    20        2000
                  Income:Capital Gains                                   1000

But now our balance sheet looks like this:

Assets
Assets                 $0.00
  Investments:      $3661.67
Assets                    $3661.67

Liabilities
Liabilities                  $0.00
Unrealized Gains(Losses)     $0.00

Equity
Equity                 $0.00
  Opening Balances: $2000.00
Retained earnings:           $0.00
Net Profit:                $995.00
Total Equity:             $2995.00

Liabilities & Equity:     $2995.00

Drilling down into the balance sheet a little, it seems that everything is correct, except that our remaining shares of DWAK are being assigned the value of $1666.67. Huh?

So: what's going on here? What am I missing?

== John