Stock purchase question

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 24 10:30:55 EST 2006

Quoting Bengt Thuree <bengt at thuree.com>:

> I open the Bank account, and purchase my stocks from this account.
> Asset:Broker:City:Bank				Withdrawal 10,000
> Expenses:CitiCommision			Deposit 1,000
> Asset:Broker:City:Ericsson		Deposit 9,000
>
> At this stage I press Enter (or tab), and the Exchange popup dialog
> appears (in version 1.8.4 anyway).
> But the number of shares are set to 9,000 (which was supposed to be the
> amount I actually bought the shares for).

What did you put in the exch-rate dialog?  And what do you mean by "the
number of shares are set to 9,000"?  The register always shows you the
amount in the register currency..  This means that even after the exch-rate
dialog you'll still see 9,000 in the entry register.  However if you open
up the stock register you should see your 100 shares.

>     If I change the Deposit from
> 9,000 to 100 (shares), and then check the exchange popup window I see
> that I have 100 shares, and then I can enter the correct share price or
> total price. But after I press OK in this popup dialog, I see that
> GnuCash has added a forth line to my split with no account, but a
> deposit of 8,900.
> Asset:Broker:City:Bank				Withdrawal 10,000
> Expenses:CitiCommision			Deposit 1,000
> Asset:Broker:City:Ericsson		Deposit 100
> 					Deposit 8,900

Yep, this is correct.

> So my question is, How should I purchase the stocks I want directly from
> the bank account. How should I specify the number of share, the share
> price, and the total amount I bought for (excluding commission) so it is
> the same in all accounts. Hopefully I have missed something simple...

You did it right the first time.  Look in the stock account to verify.

> If I purchase them from the stock account, it will not work since the
> currency is not the default one (known bug and limitation)

Correct.