Fwd: Re: Gnucash takes 5+ minutes to load on FreeBSD

Oliver Iberien oliver-forward at charter.net
Sat Mar 25 01:53:44 EST 2006

Here is a thorough, clear response kindly sent to me by a poster to
freebsd-questions. The solution works like a charm. -ODI

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Gnucash takes 5+ minutes to load
Date: Friday 24 March 2006 18:55
From: Eric Schuele <e.schuele at computer.org>
To: Oliver Iberien <oliver-forward at charter.net>
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org

Here is what I did, more or less.  Whether it can be done in fewer steps
I don't know. Honestly, I did it a little differently... but I think
below is correct.  Hopefully someone will chime in if this looks too far
off base.

As root do the following (no warranties here, use at own risk)
  - deinstall gnucash (/usr/ports/finance/gnucash)
  - deinstall guile (/usr/ports/lang/guile)
  - deinstall libltdl (/usr/ports/devel/libltdl15)
  - set the following environment variable:
       libltdl_cv_sys_dlopen_deplibs=yes
    before the next step.
  - 'make configure' gnucash
  - 'make install' gnucash.  (the others should fall into place as
dependencies)

Setting an environment variable is a little different depending on the
shell you are using.

For me (using csh):
   # setenv libltdl_cv_sys_dlopen_deplibs yes
If you are using sh:
   # set libltdl_cv_sys_dlopen_deplibs=yes

HTH.

> Oliver