Bug? in "advanced portfolio"

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Sat May 13 11:32:08 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I've started playing with GnuCash 1.9.5, and ran into something strange
when running an "advanced portfolio" report. The amounts seem rather OK
to me (a big improvement from 1.8.11 which is a big mess), but not
completely correct I think.
My report is denominated in HK$ (my local currency).
The mutual funds are in EUR or US$.
Unfortunately I do not have documentation available (it just isn't
there; I installed from the tarball), so I don't know exactly what is
what. We have a.o.:
- Basis: I don't know what this is. Maybe the value of the shares owned
now, at the price when purchased? Seems so. Varies with the currency
exchange rate, not with the fund price.
- Value: the current value, in HK$. Varies with the fund price and the
currency exchange rate.
- Money in: should be the amount of money we invested. Changes with the
currency exchange rate, not with the fund price. And that's not good I
think: if I put in $1000 now, the value "money in" is not going to
change, even when the EUR doubles and the USD halves in value.

The problem that I still have is that I don't manage to transfer money
from a HKD account to a USD or EUR denominated mutual fund (or stock for
that sake). I have to transfer from HKD to USD resp EUR and then on to
the mutual fund - I haven't managed to do it in any other way.

Wouter.