Checking acct transaction dates?

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Tue May 16 13:17:12 EDT 2006

I'm curious about how most people date their checking account
transactions. As far as I know, there are two possibilities: dating by
when the transaction was physically performed (Sunday morning when you
bought gas), or dating by when the transaction was cleared with the bank
(Monday when it showed up in your statement). Unless you do all your
banking at the branch on a weekday morning, these two dates could be
days apart.

I've done it both ways. I started out by using bank dates, which tells
me exactly when money entered and exited my account. Then, for reasons
I've since forgotten, I switched to physical transaction dates, which
tells me basically what I was doing when the money was spent.

What do you do, and why?

--
Joel Konkle-Parker