generating reports takes minutes

Thomas John Vitolo tjvitolo at bu.edu
Wed Nov 1 10:42:48 EST 2006

Regarding the generation of reports being so slow...

For an "average" user, which is the bottleneck -- the aggregation of data or the
instructions to draw the charts?  If it's the former, I have a follow-up question:

A chart of data is useful because it aggregates many data points into just a
few.  A pie chart with 10 slices has:
1 Title
1 Date range
10 slice sizes (or equivalently, values)
10 slice names

So, when I close gnucash, why doesn't it "cache" the data of the charts, so it
doesn't have to re-calculate the data when I re-open.  This way, the time to
re-calculate the data is avoided, and I can open gnucash much more quickly.
Many times, I don't care about viewing the charts, I just want to add some
transactions by hand, and I hate that I too have to wait minutes for my reports
to be generated.

So, where's the bottleneck?  If it's aggregating the data, why not cache it, so
the user has more control over load times?

Regards,
 - stomv