generating reports takes minutes

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 1 11:40:16 EST 2006

Quoting Dale Alspach <alspach at math.okstate.edu>:

> One thing that might be considered for future development is freezing all
> transactions before a certain date. For example once reporting to the
> taxing authorities
> has been
> done  or an audit has been completed and
> correcting entries have been done, it is pretty unusual to make any
> subsequent changes  to the transactions in the covered period. Any  report
> could then cache the subtotals for the frozen period. This should speed up
> the calculations for reports.

It's unclear if it will speed up reports per se, but yes, we've
certainly talked about this.  It's something that's more interesting
once we get a standard SQL backend.  With the current XML-File backend
you have to load the whole data file anyways, whereas with SQL we
might be able to load only a partial set of data with baseline
summaries,