Setting up an Inventory Asset Account

Ivars Grinbergs mestule at inbox.lv
Thu Nov 2 15:35:12 EST 2006

As far as I remember financial accounting principles, when you buy
inventory you don't have expenses - it is just exchange of one asset
into another. You will have esxpenses when you sell inventory.

For example:

trx #1a: buy inventory, pay to vendor
D inventory(asset) $100 (5 items @ $20 each)
C cash(asset) $100

trx #1b: pay for delivery to warehosue (costs that will be recorded in
expenses, when sale will happen)
D inventory(asset) $10
C cash(asset) $10

trx#2: sell inventory (issue bill to customer)
D acc/rec(asset) $150 (3 items @ $50 each)
C sales(income) $150

trx#3: record cost of goods sold, for instance, when goods leave warehouse
D cogs(expenses) $66 (3 items @ $22 each)
C inventory(asset) $66  (there are still 2 items at 22 each in the
warehouse)

trx#4: customer pays bill
D bank account(asset/bank) $150
C acc/rec(asset) $150