Way to check correctness of Gnucash 2.02 install

Allen Bethea allen.bethea at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 08:07:18 EST 2006

Greetings

I just installed Gnucash 2.02 on my Ubuntu 6.06 LTS gnome system. I had to
compile it and install it myself. I had to add quite a few libraries.

I got Gnucash compile and install. Then, when I tried to run it, I would get
the splash screen, then nothing.

I went on line and found the solution....one more library
guile-g-wrap. Now everything appears to work, but I have not yet begun to
set up accounts.

The question I have is this: The fact that I did not have "guile-g-wrap" was
not caught by running ./configure nor was it caught when I ran  make or sudo
make install.

This is the question, how do I know if there are still some libraries
missing which will prevent gnucash from working as reliably as I by faith
know it will? Is there some internal check gnucash runs to make sure it has
all the software resources it needs to function securely? Is there a check I
should run to ensure I have a complete stable system before I entrust my
data to this program?

I know that inorder to be perfectly safe, I should use Ubuntu's vetted
repository for applications. Dapper has gnucash 1.8.12 available . I would
rather use the latest and best version available.

Thanks

--
Allen Bethea
Home page: http://www.expectedend.com

"... get up, and set your shoulder to the wheel-how long is this life for?
as you have come into this world, leave some mark behind. otherwise where is
the difference between you and the trees and stones? - they too come into
existence, decay and die..."     Swami Vivekananda