manual OFX creation

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 6 11:24:52 EST 2006

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 10:47:03PM -0800, Adam Monsen wrote:
> Anyone have a link to an OFX "quick start" tutorial or anything? I need to
> munge up some extremely simple plain text into OFX (or QIF, if it would be
> easier) for importing into GnuCash.

http://www.respmech.com/mym2qifw/qif_new.htm

might help

> I've been a bunch of financial data (up to about 80 lines now) in the
> following format:
>
> 11/1,"Lunch at Jai Thai","-$8.50"
> 11/2,"Bus Ticket","-$3.00"

qif is really easy and what I use for importing payroll info from
gnumeric. basically its a single column with the first letter of each
line being significant -- a descriptor of what the following
characters are: amount, description, account etc.

you'll need to take your output above and strip out the commas and
quotes, break it into a single column and insert the required code
letters. I would think simple bash would do the job nicely, maybe with
some sed or awk thrown in.