insurance car loan

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonpsychology.ca
Tue Nov 7 14:11:10 EST 2006

Ethy H. Brito wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am still confused about this double entry thing (Duuhh!).
>
> Here is the deal: my insurance company divides my car insurance ($1000) in 10
> payments ($101).
>
> How do I account the initial amount hired? What are the two accounts involved?

I'm no accountant, but I think it's best to show each payment as an
expense, splitting it to show $100 as Expenses:Auto:Insurance, and $1 as
Expenses:Interest.  Don't worry about getting fancy.

If you really want to show it as a decreasing liability, you will need
to set up a liability account (it appears that you have done this), and
show the whole expense (Expenses:Auto:Insurance - $1000) matched to
Liabilities:Insurance.  Then each month, debit your chequing account (or
whatever you are using to pay it) by $101, using a split to apply $100
to the liability and $1 to interest.

Cheers

Cam

--