Gnucash and Ubuntu

Brian Prewett prewettb at ozemail.com.au
Thu Nov 9 07:55:11 EST 2006

Hi, I run a 1 man business here in Australia and I am looking for an
alternative to MYOB for my financial records. I want to be a Linux
enthusiast but I am almost defeated at present.

I am reasonably computer literate and have installed Ubuntu on a spare
PC which seems to run fine. I have downloaded the files I need for
Gnucash 2.0 ( I think) from sourceforge but after many hours of trying
to install, or build, or make, or compile, (or whatever ??? ) Gnucash is
still not running.

Sorry if I sound a bit frustrated but I am. I have been involved with
PCs since DOS times, my first IBM PC did not even have a Hard Drive !. I
have also used Mac's for many years, and during the day I teach adults
how to use their computers. I can usually figure out how to make
software work, but not this time.

I hope someone can explain to me how to get Gnucash running, because if
it beats me then I don't see how you will get Mr average PC user to
consider using the program.

Thanks in advance . . . . . Brian