Gnucash and Ubuntu

Mark Baker mark.baker2 at cox.net
Thu Nov 9 19:06:15 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 23:55 +1100, Brian Prewett wrote:
> Hi, I run a 1 man business here in Australia and I am looking for an
> alternative to MYOB for my financial records. I want to be a Linux
> enthusiast but I am almost defeated at present.
>
> I am reasonably computer literate and have installed Ubuntu on a spare
> PC which seems to run fine. I have downloaded the files I need for
> Gnucash 2.0 ( I think) from sourceforge but after many hours of trying
> to install, or build, or make, or compile, (or whatever ??? ) Gnucash is
> still not running.
>
> Sorry if I sound a bit frustrated but I am. I have been involved with
> PCs since DOS times, my first IBM PC did not even have a Hard Drive !. I
> have also used Mac's for many years, and during the day I teach adults
> how to use their computers. I can usually figure out how to make
> software work, but not this time.
>
> I hope someone can explain to me how to get Gnucash running, because if
> it beats me then I don't see how you will get Mr average PC user to
> consider using the program.
>
> Thanks in advance . . . . . Brian

Brian -

Since you're running Ubuntu, you don't need to compile the software, you
can install it from the Synaptic Package Manager.  Just run Synaptic and
search for gnucash, then install the gnucash, gnucash-common, and
gnucash-docs packages.  When the install finishes, you should have a
launcher for GnuCash Finance Management under Applications-> Office.

Mark