QIF Import: rounding problems?

Jon Hamkins hamkins at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Nov 9 21:56:09 EST 2006

Derek Brader wrote:

> I'm running into a problem when importing a QIF file from one of my
> investment companies (Fidelity).  The file contains a bunch of purchases
> of various commodities (mutual funds, mostly).  The accounts match up
> just fine for the most part and everything is happy except that many
> transactions are not properly balanced and end up with a small split to
> "Imbalance-USD".
>
> I believe the problem is that Gnucash is calculating the debit amount
> from the share price and number of shares rather than using the debit
> value supplied directly.  Since Fidelity rounds off the share price to
> the nearest cent, this can cause problems.

Yes, you need to direct gnucash to use the share and debit amounts, but
not the price.  This is an endemic problem in any personal finance
software, because the QIF file is inherently inconsistent in the sense
that the shares*price does not exactly equal the debit amount in the QIF
file.

When you manually enter a transaction, you can tell gnucash to adjust
the price, and then everything is fine-- the share total matches and the
debit total matches.  For QIF import, I'm not sure if it is possible to
tell gnucash to ignore the price in the QIF file.

      ----Jon