Help importing QIF file into existing account, "Data for number or date does not match a known format."

Michael Chaffin chaffinmichael at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 22:17:17 EST 2006

I am hoping that someone can help me figure out why I can not load my QIF
data into my existing GnuCash accounts. In an effort to better debug the
problem I started gnucash from the command line,

  # gnucash --debug --loglevel=9 --nofile
  gnucash: [D] "starting up (1)."
  gnucash: [D] "handling command line arguments"("gnucash")
  gnucash: [D] "files to open: "()
  gnucash: [D] (results missing-lib)

After I try to import the file I receive less then helpful message "QIF File
parse failed: Data for number or date does not match a known format."

Here is a small snippet of my QIF file,
** SNIP **
D08/14/2006
T11.06-
NVISA
PVISA WENDYS #5474 Q25 XXXX YY ON 08-11 03858524
^
D08/14/2006
T9.5-
NVISA
PVISA SAFEWAY STORE 00027227 XXXX YY ON 08-12 03858524
^
D08/14/2006
T55.0-
NEFT
PELEC REMIT AMERICAN EXPRESS
^
D08/14/2006
T48.0-
N     1466
PCHECK # 1466
^
D08/15/2006
T10.0-
N     1480
PCHECK # 1480
^
D08/16/2006
T58.37-
NVISA
PVISA SAFEWAY STORE 00015990 XXXX YY ON 08-14 08403232
^
** SNIP **

I have checked the web and found this link
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.6/C/t3948.html , which I have read and does
help ... kind of. I have tried to load the example and it works
** SNIP **
!Type:Bank
D6/20/97
T-500
N1012
C*
L[Visa]
^
** SNIP **

After a quick look between the two, I notice that my accounts are missing
the 'C' and 'L' fields, are they required? I also noticed that my dates are
4 characters long (2006), is that a problem? How about the fact that my
Total ('T') fields end in a minus (-) and do not start with it? I am not
even sure what the regular expression would look like to fix this problem.

My system is a Gentoo box running kernel 2.6.17, I am using GnuCash
2.0.1Built 2006-08-24 from r14585 (or Gentoo app-office/gnucash-
2.0.1 ). Any help is greatly appreciated.