New user struggling.

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 16 16:37:11 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 04:45:39PM -0000, Bill wrote:
> Hello,

hi!

> I use MS Money in XP and am looking for an alternative when, if, I migrate to a Linux OS.  At present, I am trying Ubuntu 6.0.  GNUCash is packed with this installation, but not the latest version.  I have downloaded the files for v2.0.2 and although I can unpack them, I cannot install the application.  Help somewhere on your site says that instructions for installing are available, but I have only found a guide to downloading.  If this help exists, where is it, please?

what version is in ubuntu? if its any version of 2.0.x then don't
bother with trying to download and install the latest (this is my
opinion here, btw) as it involves compiling and can be a bear. So I
suggest you use what comes with (if its 2.0.x) and keep the system
up-to-date, you should get bug fixes as they come out.

[snip]

> The imported files resulted in a very muddled, almost unstructured, file in which the information might well be present, but it is difficult to access.  If I persevere, it will only be with freshly created files.

the import is, IMO, much easier than trying to recreate everything
from scratch. I'd recommend taking a couple cracks at using the
importer and tweaking the setup in the import itself to see if you get
better results. I'm not sure what the docs say, but you can set up all
kinds of matching int he importer so that certain descriptions, memos
and accounts in your qif file get mapped to the accounts you want in
gnucash. Its probably worth your time to play with that a bit.

.02