advanced portfolio and liquidated stock accounts

Philippe A. futhark77 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 23:33:50 EST 2006

Hi Mark,

2006/11/17, Mark Johnson <mrj001 at shaw.ca>:

> Philippe A. wrote:
>
> >I was hoping to use the advanced portfolio report to keep a detailed
> history
> >of past and current investments. I am quite happy with the tracking of
> >current investments, but not with that of past investments. When talking
> >about "past investments", I refer more specifically to liquidated
> accounts.
> >The only column displaying accurate information for those is their Value:
> 0.
> >All other columns report information that's of no use because amounts are
> >skewed quite radically: money in, return, etc. I was expecting the report
> >display all the numbers at the time of the liquidation. Isn't that a
> >reasonable expectation?
> >

> I noticed when I ran this report that some of the numbers seem to
> consolidate all instances of a particular security regardless of which
> account it is held in (using version 2.0.1).  This is then reported as
> though it belonged to a particular account.  Is this what you are seeing?

My problem is different.

I have narrowed it down to an account on which I made a loss. The absolute
value of the loss gets added to the money in column. Accounts with gains
seem ok.

Here's an easy to reproduce example:
- Create a dummy stock account.
- Purchase 1000 shares at 1$ each
- Sell 1000 shares at 0.75$
- Use the lot viewer to calculate the loss. It wil lalso take care of
writing it in an orphaned gain/loss account as a 250$ charge.
- Bring the advanced portfolio report. Set the date so it gets your
transactions. Also enable display of accounts with 0 shares. See what the
report shows:

Value = 0 (ok)
Money in = 1250 (wrong)
money out = 750 (ok)
realized gain = -500 (wrong)
unrealized gain = 0 (ok)
total gain = -500 (wrong)
tot return = -40% (wrong)

I tried changing the gain/loss account type to expense. Values of the report
changed but they were still off.

Looks like a bug to me. Before I rush to bugzilla, maybe someone can confirm
I'm not doing something really stupid.

It's also possible that you may need to fiddle with the report options
> as to how it obtains pricing information.

That didn't help.

I'm afraid I haven't yet taken the time to search to see if it is a