Where do I place incoming money that's not Income?

Anthony gnucash at inbox.org
Sat Nov 18 18:01:26 EST 2006

On 11/18/06, Leo Breebaart <leo at lspace.org> wrote:
> A third possibility is to place it as a rebate in
> Expenses:Tech:Hardware instead, which is where the cost for the
> replacement phone was put. I think I like this option the best,
> because there the rebate does contribute correctly to the
> subtotals in the branch. I did *not* spend X+X on two phones that
> year, I spent X+(X-R), with R being the money from the insurance.

As long as R<=X, and as long as the original product or replacement
was bought in the same year, that's how I'd do it.

> Or, quite possibly, I am over-thinking this mightily, and I
> should get a life instead of wondering about the optimal
> administration of a couple dozen EUR... :-)

If we were talking about a significant amount of money (a car or
something), then you'd have an asset to write off against.  That'd be
a bit more complicated - in the US for a business asset I'd be
thinking of how best to treat it as an involuntary conversion, but I
don't know European tax/accounting standards on that.  But for a
couple dozen EUR, you're already taking legitimate shortcuts by not
depreciating the asset...

Anthony