advanced portfolio and liquidated stock accounts

Philippe A. futhark77 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 10:50:27 EST 2006

2006/11/18, Ariel <asgnucash at dsgml.com>:

> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Philippe A. wrote:
>
> > Here's an easy to reproduce example:
> > - Create a dummy stock account.
> > - Purchase 1000 shares at 1$ each
> > - Sell 1000 shares at 0.75$
> > - Use the lot viewer to calculate the loss. It wil lalso take care of
> > writing it in an orphaned gain/loss account as a 250$ charge.
>
> > Value = 0 (ok)
>
> Why is 0 ok? It should be -250. If you put in a transaction that changes
> the total value to 0 then:

Because I no longer have any stock in hand. 0 shares * some_price = 0. Other
columns are responsible of keeps track of gains/losses.

> Money in = 1250 (wrong)
>
> Is exactly right you have 1000 in, plus the 250 that you put in to clear
> the balance.

As far as I know, a loss of 250 is not a stock purchase. It has no reason to
be added in the Money In column.

Everything follows from this (unless I'm not fully understanding the
> problem, I've never used the stock feature).

> money out = 750 (ok)
> > realized gain = -500 (wrong)
> > unrealized gain = 0 (ok)
> > total gain = -500 (wrong)
> > tot return = -40% (wrong)

Not great. You managed to justify that -250/1000 = -0.4 return. You should
first understand what the report is for then look at the numbers. Not the
other way around.