Scheduled transactions

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 20 15:44:39 EST 2006

Mark Baker wrote:

>I'm a long-time Quicken user (since 1991) who's just come over to GnuCash, so
>please forgive me for any hard-to-shake preconceptions.  For the record, I
>like GnuCash a lot, and shedding the last vestige of Windows is even better.
>
>I used scheduled transactions in Quicken for all my bills, and if I paid one
>early, I just went to the calendar and paid it early.  In a couple of weeks
>of working with GnuCash and reading documentation, I've been unable to find a
>way to pay a scheduled transaction early; it seems to lock me into paying
>when the scheduler decides it's time.  It also seems to be an all-or-nothing
>proposition; either I enter all the transactions since last run, or none of
>them.  Is there a way to pay individual scheduled transactions early, one at
>a time, that I'm missing?

Here's what I do.  I have gnucash create all my monthly bills for the
end of the month.  They are created near the beginning of the month, so
I have a bunch of future transactions, which show below a blue line in
the register (my checking account in this case).  When the bill comes, I
pay it, and adjust the date and amounts in the register.

It's not a very sophisticated approach, but it works for me.

Hope this helps,
Mark