Split transactions: multiple entries for one account

Arno Schuring aelschuring at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 23 19:03:41 EST 2006

Hello list!

I have been using GnuCash (2.0.1, Ubuntu Edgy) for a few months now (for
personal finances), and the project works so well for me that I've
decided to retroactively enter all my checkbook transfers for some
recent years as well (mainly to track my college grants/loans).

However there is one (minor) thing that's not working as I'd expect. My
payroll check is composed of multiple entries (taxes, base salary, etc)
of which some (>1) entries add up to my income. Basically, one salary
entry (transaction) consists of the following transfers (translated to
the best of my knowledge):
    - net wage -> bank account
    - gross wage -> salary
    - holiday bonus -> salary
    - holiday rights compensation -> salary
    - income tax -> income tax
    - healthcare tax -> medical taxes
    - social security tax -> taxes
The issue here, is that one payroll transaction consists of three
entries that all add up to my salary, and I don't really see a need to
create separate income accounts for holiday compensations. When I view
my salary in the register view, I get three separate lines (on the same
date), one representing each sub-transaction in the split. I would
rather see just one line with the combined total of these sub-transactions.

Of course, I can just manually add the three salary items into one, and
use one sub-transaction to transfer money into my salary account.
However, this means loss of details that I'd rather not lose.

I have found that if I use the transaction journal register view, then
GnuCash shows each transaction only once, but that's too much
information for me. Ideally, I'd just like one line per (split)
transaction, showing the net amount that gets deposited/withdrawn into
the current account. Is there an option that I can set somewhere that
will give me that behaviour? Or is there a different approach that I can
use?

please CC me as I'm not subscribed.

Kind regards,

Arno Schuring