Gnucash vs. QuickBooks

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 27 18:31:38 EST 2006

Hi,

Quoting "Denise M. Kauf" <DMK at ffhm.com>:

> I would like to get opinions from Gnucash users on how Gnucash compares
> to QuickBooks. I am trying to help someone determine if they can start
> using Gnucash instead of QuickBooks. What are the pros and cons of
> Gnucash compared to QuickBooks. Can any user comfortably use Gnucash or
> do you need to be a programmer? Thanks.

For one, Quickbooks doesn't run on Linux..  But keep in mind that
QuickBook is a commercial application with lots of paid developers
working full time to add features and make the application work well.
GnuCash has a dearth of developers working on it, so it's not quite
as nice and easy to use as QB for certain operations.

On the other hand, GnuCash is a true double-entry accounting package
and has lots of reports that can tell you almost anything you need to know.

So it really depends on what you need to use it for..  What features
you need.  And what shortcomings you're willing to live with..

I hope this helps.