Gnucash vs. QuickBooks

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 30 00:04:01 EST 2006

Quoting Ariel <asgnucash at dsgml.com>:

>> Just a clarification; building GnuCash on the Mac is RELATIVELY easy,
>> so I wouldn't say it requires a LOT of experience, but it's certainly
>> not a "download and install" process..  It's certainly a little more
>> involved.  But it IS pretty much:
>>
>>  install X and the SDK from the MacOS and XCODE CDs
>>  install macports
>>  run "sudo port install gnucash" from the Terminal
>>  wait 12 hours (give or take)
>
> Maybe you could compile gnucash with STATIC libraries (to avoid all
> the issues with the wrong ones), and provide it for mac users.

Um, unfortunately GnuCash doesn't build statically.. It depends on
dynamic libraries.  But building from MacPorts is easy.  If you really
care, find a Mac Developer to spearhead a standalone Mac Binary.   But
the fact remains that right now GnuCash depends on GTK which depends on
X11, which must be running before you can run GnuCash..    So....
Having a working standalone Mac binary is still a ways off.