Gnucash vs. QuickBooks

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 30 00:26:46 EST 2006

Quoting Ariel <asgnucash at dsgml.com>:

> I don't actually use the mac version, I use debian. I was reading all
> the issues people were having, and I thought it might help, I didn't
> realize it wasn't possible.

I honestly don't understand why people have issues.  I got a Mac and
was able to have GnuCash up and running in about 48 hours -- with only
about 15 minutes of me-time associated with it (the rest of the time
was the computer building, or the computer sitting there idle when
I wasn't in front of it..

... And the only reason it took 48 hours was because the person who
installed the machine didn't install the X11SDK like I thought (nor
the X server)..  But he did install the X libraries..  So the build
crapped out on me the first night.  Once I figured this out I found
the right packages and then it built just fine with literally:

  sudo port install gnucash

That's it!  Install X11, install Xcode (and the X11SDK), install MacPorts,
and then run that command from the terminal and you've got GnuCash
running when it's done.