did gnucash destroy my account?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 30 09:04:52 EST 2006

Quoting "John H." <mistamaila at gmail.com>:

> Ok, I am using GnuCash 2.0.2
> Built 2006-10-11 from r14936
>

> I opened my old book the first time just fine,made a change and saved.
>
> now i get this on trying to open it
> Can't parse the URL /home/user/.gnucash/books/bookname
>
> what's the problem?  i was told by another user this meant the book
> was destroyed??????????
> did i lose all my data from that account?

If you made the major mistake of trying to store your data file in
~/.gnucash/books, then yes, you shot yourself in the foot.  Grab
the most recent backup file (bookname.YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.xac), move it
OUT OF THAT DIRECTORY, and then open that.  You'll need to re-perform
all your operations previously done.

Note to you and everyone else: gnucash owns ~/.gnucash -- never store
anything there yourself without gnucash documentation saying you can.
GnuCash reserves the right to destroy the contents of ~/.gnucash at
will.