transfering multiple accounts

Kevin Hale Boyes kcboyes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 14:02:39 EDT 2006

On 10/3/06, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
> > yury nedelin <ynedelin at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > Hi I am very new to GnuCash, 1 day, I have imported the .QIF file in to the
> > > Unspecified account in GnuCash. Then I have created an subaccount for the
> > > phone bills.   So I have a bunch of these bills in my unspecified account
> > > all with the same name and  just different dates.  Now I would like to
> > > transfer all the phone bills, about 15 of them, into my new Phone Account.
> > > I could do ti one by one but that seems like a waste of a computer power.
> > >
> > > Is there  way to do that automatically ?  And so in the future if  I have a
> > > bill from AT&T it just goes into the Phone account.
> >
> > No, there's no way to do that automatically.  What you SHOULD have done
> > is taken the time during the QIF import to map the payees and memos to the
> > proper GnuCash accounts.  You can do that in future imports.
>
> Derek--
>
> "SHOULD" is a strong word. Especially since, if you try to map transactions to
> accounts in the import function, data entry is orders of magnitude slower.
> That's because the account select widget in the import druid doesn't have
> keyboard quickfind. You have to click to each account manually--which is
> problematic especially if you have a large set of asset accounts. That's
> actually why I have taken to importing transactions into Undefined and changing
> them later. I open the Undefined account and edit the transactions there until
> they're all "gone". For basic expense transactions, if I use single line
> display, I can power through the list substantially faster.

I have to agree here.  Editing and filling in details in the register view is
far more effecient than doing it during import.  Often I want to edit the
description during import but can't and it takes a lot of clicking to set the
proper (expense) account.  For me, I'd like to be able to import basic,
and possibly monthly, expense transaction in a single pass during import
but that would require the flexibility of the register view.

> David

Kevin.