starting balance

Bob W. Anderson bobdove at isp.com
Tue Oct 24 17:29:01 EDT 2006

I've been using GnuCash for about three years, now under SuSE 10.1.

Last week, I couldn't reconcile because the Starting Balance did not
correspond to the bank statement.   I read that the starting balance is
not editable.   I don't know what caused the discrepancy nor how to
remedy it.    Is GnuCash infallible and thus the bank at fault?   How
to proceed?

Can anyone help me decipher the numerical names assigned by GnuCash to
saved files?    It looks like the first four numbers ought to be the
year, but mine are almost all 2005!   Could my computer be saving the
files elsewhere than my Home directory?    I'm trying to find the saved
files of a month ago, so I can start with a known starting balance and
rebuild from there.

All feedback and suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Bob in Newport