Must we always reconcile transactions in both accounts?

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Sun Oct 29 12:15:15 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-29-10 at 16:17 +0000, Andy Gimblett wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I'm a newbie gnucash user, running 1.8.12 on FreeBSD 6.1, and I have a
> (probably naive) question regarding reconciliation.  In short: is it
> always required to reconcile a transaction (separately) in both
> affected accounts?

No, you don't need to reconcile all sides of a transaction.  Reconciling
involves checking the transactions off against some external source
(statement).  For bank accounts and credit card accounts (or stock and
mutual fund accounts), you have an external statement.  For your wallet,
or income/expense accounts, you don't.  I have occasionally checked my
wallet contents against my wallet account, added a transaction to bring
the balance in line, then marked all transactions before that (and
including the balancing one) as cleared, but you don't need to do that.

Phil