Installing GnuCash 2.0 on Mac OS X

Kevin Broderick gnucash at kevinbroderick.com
Sun Sep 3 22:40:29 EDT 2006

On 29 Aug 2006, at 12:57 AM, Rudye McGlothlin wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> After several weeks of brooding over it, and a few intense evenings
> trying everything that I could think of, I have gotten GnuCash 2.0
> compiled on my PowerBook!  Everything seems to be working, and I
> want to
> thank the developers for the phenomenal effort.  Thank you!
>
> I started, of course, with these instructions...
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation but there were a few
> pieces of info missing or that my limited experience couldn't provide.
> So here is my errata.  If you think its worthwhile, I'll make an
> effort
> to add to the wiki.  Let me know if I should.

If you can add the additional info to the wiki, that would be helpful.

> 1.  The first issue I encountered was that the manually downloaded
> g-wrap-1.9.6 couldn't find guile16 that fink installed.  The
> solution is
> further in the instructions.  Executing this line:
>
> $ export PATH=/sw/share/guile/1.6/scripts/binoverride:$PATH
>
> before doing the g-wrap ./configure solves it.  I recommend that
> step be
> moved up to before the g-wrap section.

I think it might need to be copied to the g-wrap section rather than
moved (so as to not confuse anyone who is simply using fink's g-wrap
rather than a manually-downloaded copy).

> 2.  There is no information here about where g-wrap needs to be.  Mine
> ended up in /sw/etc .  Frankly, I don't know how.  It became clear
> that
> it needs to be in /sw/bin .  At least, g-wrap.configure must be in
> /sw/bin .  I tried several ways to get g-wrap to compile into that
> directory (--prefix didn't work), but I finally just manually moved
> all
> the g-wrap files.

I'm not sure if this is a g-wrap issue or a gnucash one; if it's the
former, and you managed to locate documentation about it (if there is
any), a link from the wiki might work.  If there isn't any [finable]
documentation on the subject, a link to your message in the mailing
list archives might be appropriate.

> 3.  GnuCash needed more information about the location of g-wrap/
> guile.
> I had to change the $PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable to
> include the
> location of /g-wrap-1.9.6/guile.  In my case I did this: export
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/bin/g-wrap-1.9.6/guile:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH .

I'm not sure which step this would be best connected to in the wiki;
perhaps someone who is more familiar with the build system than I
could comment?

> 4.  That took care of getting GnuCash to compile.  Note, however, that
> the instructions say that the line:
>
> ./autogen.sh ; ./configure --with-g-wrap-prefix=/sw
> --enable-compile-warnings ; make ; sudo make install
>
> will install in the /usr/local directory.  This wasn't the case on my
> computer.  GnuCash installed right were it was...
> ~/Documents/src/gnuCash/src/bin/gnucash .  I suppose there is
> someway to
> erase it and force it to compile in the right place, but I don't think
> I'm up to it.

Having written that line in the wiki based on my expectation at the
time and not tested it, I'd wonder if installing in /usr/local vs.
the build directory is the expected behavior or not.  I don't recall
at the moment *why* I expected /usr/local to be the destination, but
I'll try to see if I can find such resources tomorrow or Tuesday if
no one else chimes in.

Incidentally, rebuilding and moving should just involve running make
distclean followed by that build line, e.g.

$ make distclean ; ./autogen.sh ; ./configure --with-g-wrap-prefix=/
sw --prefix=/usr/local/ --enable-compile-warnings ; make ; sudo make
install

Then wait a bit (or quite a while, as the case may be) and you should
have gnucash installed under /usr/local.  I'm pretty confident on
this step, as I goofed the first time around and had to recompile to
put it where I wanted.

Thanks for providing the feedback on the wiki instructions; that's
quite helpful, as no single setup is going to accurately represent
all of the actual variations in  the wild.

--Kevin
gnucash at kevinbroderick.com