Foreign currency accounts and transactions.

Adam Funk a24061 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 12:27:40 EDT 2006

On 2006-09-07, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

>> Is it necessary to "Edit Exchange Rate" for every transaction that
>> isn't in the main currency?  Or should it pick up the previous value,
>> or the value from the Price Editor?
>
> You need to set it for every transaction.  It SHOULD happen
> automatically, but apparently there are bugs where this does not
> happen properly in all cases.

I'll do a few more in the same place and see what happens.

>> How in the world can the accounts balance when I forget to E-E-R?
>
> The TRANSACTION is balanced, which is all GnuCash is checking at the
> moment.  However it's not balancing in terms of changes-in-capital.
> But GnuCash doesn't check that now.

I think I see what you mean.  I think it treated the transaction
without EER as having a value of GBP0.00 in the relevant Expenses
account.

>> Should a bank account in a foreign currency have account type Bank or
>> Currency?
>
> Bank.  You should never use Currency type accounts, and indeed in 2.0
> those accounts no longer exist.

Noted.  And I'll need a separate account of type Cash for each foreign
currency I have in my desk, right?

Thanks,
Adam