Handling Initial Stock Holdings

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 14:06:30 EDT 2006

Karl and Derek and the others who have been helpful here:

Thanks for the guidance on this. I recognize that I am looking at a rather
complex migration (some 35 accounts covering loans, stocks, bank accounts, real
assets, etc.), which doesn't make it any easier to learn the basics.

Karl, I agree with pretty much all you're saying about putting in what you
need. I guess I believe I need this level of complexity because I've already
been tracking this stuff for years in Quicken. One thing in your message that I
am intrigued by is where you said:

"It's easy to take an equity entry and replace it with the actual
transactions."

Can you elucidate? What would the transactions that I add in later look like?
Where would they draw funds from? Looking from the other end, as it were, I see
that my vestigal transactions make use of an account called "Retained
Earnings." Would the transactions you describe use this account, or would they
use something else? In my situation, should I leave these transactions as
drawing from Retained Earnings, or should I change them to another account?

Thanks!
David