Reinstalling as an opportunity

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 12:17:00 EDT 2006

I would strongly suggest to Mr. Mraz, who has just been told by Derek that
he's destroyed his system and needs to reinstall, that take this as an
opportunity to use a Linux distribution with top-notch package management,
such as Debian, Ubuntu, or Gentoo. Some may disagree, but I don't think
Redhat and Fedora Core <whatever> are in that category (remember -- good
package management not only involves good package management software, but a
rich respository that isn't rife with dependency bugs). I have the latest
release of Gnucash running, built from source on my Gentoo system. It was
completely painless and hands-off. I told 'emerge' to do it, and it did it.

I continue to be amazed by the amount of pain people inflict on themselves
(and the amount of bandwidth we devote to it on this mailing list) as a
result of poor choice of Linux distributions.

/Don