2.0.1 on FC5 trying online banking in the US

Dawning Sky the.dawning.sky at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 00:51:59 EDT 2006

On 9/18/06, David Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Discussion can go back to gnucash-user, I'm just copying -devel in
> case someone only saw the second request...

Thanks, David.

> On Sep 17, 2006, at 2:27 AM, Dawning Sky wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been using gnucash for a few years now.  Just upgraded to 2.0.1
> > using the rpm's on my FC5 machine.
> >
> > Now I'm trying to get online banking to work.   I've been trying to
> > follow
> >
> > http://www.jongsma.org/gc/
> >
> > I've tried a few banks that I have accounts with but nothing worked.
>
> Which banks? What types of accounts? One's first pass through fidata
> can be quite confusing. Also, if any of your <ORG> fields say
> "Yodlee", then you're in for another treat. I have just discovered
> how to circumvent their intermediation, but it requires accessing
> your data from Quicken or MSMoney and then reading the OFXLOG file to
> discover where the account data is really coming from.

I've basically tried all banks that I have accounts with, such as Bank
of America, Discover Card, American Express, Citi Cards.  Noone works,
with different kinds of error messages, some just unable to connect,
some with error processing job queues.  I do have Yodlee, which is the
BofA.

> Are you in the U.S.? There aren't many other places that use OFX, but
> if you're sure your bank uses OFX, then ofx.py may provide files that
> can be imported into gnucash.

I am in the U.S.  It seems to me all my banks use OFX.  I did try
ofx.py with the default sites in it.  I was able to get ucard, which
is the Citi Cards, to send back my account list.  But no luck with
others.  When I tried Citi Cards inside Gnucash, it tells me "Error
executing backend's queue."

And I'm not really looking for a solution outside of GnuCash.  I have
already been able to download .ofx files through my banks online
banking system, except for Discover Card.

> > I even downloaded my own fidata using the script on the page.  Now my
> > questions are:
> >
> > 1. Is there a way to tell gnucash or aqbanking to use the downloaded
> > fidata automatically?
>
> Not yet. I think last year's version of the fidata is included in
> aqbanking, but even that isn't directly accessible in all cases for
> ofxdirectconnect connections. IIRC, there are some changes in the
> works for libofx that should make it easier for aqbanking to directly
> populate some setup fields, but that may be a while.
>
> > 2. What's the proper procedure to set up the US online banking info
> > in gnucash?
>
> At the moment, though setting up online banking in gnucash requires
> running the AqHBCI Wizard (select HBCI Setup... from the Tools menu,
> click Forward in the first dialog, and click the launch AqHBCI Wizard
> button in the second dialog). What then appears is the aqbanking
> setup window that will take more than a mailing list entry to describe.

I already did that, using data I got inside fidata.  But nothing works.

> Another alternative is to get ofx.py working (since you'll need the
> various fields used in that script before you can get aqbanking set
> up). Once you've established that ofx.py produces a valid ofx format
> file, then it's certainly worth considering the effort required to
> set up aqbanking within gnucash.
>
> I really do need to get the aqbanking setup function documented --
> Martin Preuss did a tremendous job of getting ofxdirectconnect
> working, I should do what I can to return the favor and try to
> document the setup for use in gnucash.

I've already very satisfied with GnuCash, actually.  I've been using
it for 4 years now.  It just seems aqbanking with ofxdirect is realy
worth a try after I upgraded to 2.0.  And once that works, my wife
will be really impressed and stop telling me Quicken or MS Money can
easily do that.