Three-way transaction, that I am not sure how to handle...

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Sep 19 20:01:55 EDT 2006

At Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:04:47 -0700 "Dawning Sky" <the.dawning.sky at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/19/06, Jack Whale <jackwhale at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > In that case, and again I'm no accountant, I would enter it as shown in the
> > screenshot that I have attached.
> >

> Two questions:
>
> 1. Why do you treat paypal as a liability.  It's more like an asset in
> my opinion.
> 2. I suppose what paypal does is that it first draws from the bank
> account $100, and then credit $1 rebate to the paypal account.

Yes, paypal shows three transactions:

1) payment of charge on the debit card (eg $100)
2) transfer from bank account to paypal acount (eg $100)
3) credit to paypal account of 'cash back' (eg $1)

When all is said and done, the charge has been paid in full, the bank
account is reduced by the full charge, and the paypal account has gained
the cash back amount.