Online Banking

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 21 09:00:42 EDT 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 6:46 AM, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 10:35:48PM -0400, David Reiser wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 20, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:
>>
>>>    Hi,
>>>
>>>    I am running GnuCash 2.0.1 that I compiled myself with online
>>> banking
>>> enabled..
>>>
>>>    Importing QIF works like a charm..
>>>
>>>    But I have a question regarding 'online banking'. I am in Canada
>>> and
>>> Quicken supports all of the Canadian banks for online banking. That
>>> is to
>>> say, it can connect to my bank and download all new transactions
>>> from inside
>>> Quicken without using a browser and downloading the QIF file.
>>>
>>>    Is this what online banking in GnuCash attempts to do ?
>>
>> As Derek mentioned, yes. One limitation is that libofx doesn't have
>> any payment capabilities, so you can't initiate a bill-pay
>> transaction via GnuCash/AqBanking.
>
> This might be considered a serurity feature rather than a disadvantage
> by some -- a protection against straying software.
>
> -- hendrik

Possibly, but it's more likely to be  developers protecting
themselves and users-- there are no (or only very well hidden) public
test servers for ofx client testing. If you have lots of money, I'm
sure Intuit would provide logins to their test servers. Otherwise, it
is way too risky to even attempt developing that function on a live
account.

Security by fear...

--
David Reiser