Data Entry Oddities

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 25 15:46:45 EDT 2006

I've been migrating information into Gnucash 2.0.1, and I've noticed a few UI
oddities that I'd like to understand better.

First, it appears that pressing enter on a split line is different from tabbing
"off the end" (for want of a better term) of that same line. When I press
Enter, GC automatically enters an Imbalance-USD line item in the transaction,
whereas if I tab off the end, a blank line in the amount is created. What is
going on here, and why is there a difference?

Next, if I have to enter a transaction in the past in a register that has later
transactions, when I leave the main line of the transaction to put in the
splits, the transaction moves to its chronological place in the register. This
is remarkably annoying if you have more than one old transaction to enter, as
you have to repeatedly go back to the empty transaction at the end of the
register. Couldn't the move happen when the transaction is closed/left?

The third thing is a little hard to explain. I have been changing account
information in multiple split transactions (i.e. transactions with several
splits, such as paychecks). The easiest way to accomplish the change is to open
the register I am emptying and changing the line to the new account. When this
is done, the transaction "disappears" (into the new account)--as it should.
However, if Auto-Split View is on, GC attempts to go to the next line, which
creates odd results, since the transaction is no longer "there." If the next
transaction in the register has fewer split lines, it will skip that
transaction. If the next transaction has enough lines, then GC takes you to
linenum + 1. It would seem to me more logical to have the split line value
reset if the transaction is closed, so that the next transaction starts fresh
at line 1.

Finally, I have been burned several times by the fact that GC doesn't save on a
transaction-by-transaction basis. I am used to the many other database and
financial packages out there that store data record by record. Is there a way
to change GnuCash's save behavior to follow a transactional save model?

Thanks!

David