Inter-account subgroupings

Backsolve backsolve at umich.edu
Mon Apr 2 18:26:58 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Arthur Dyck wrote:

> Can't you just set up accounts like Auto:Fuel:Daily,
> Auto:Fuel:2006_Vacation_Expenses, Auto:Fuel:Mary, Auto:Fuel:George? You
> can then set the number of levels in your report to get as much
> information as you need.

Well, you could try, but you'd end up with a couple problems:

(1)  You'd just have a ton of accounts.  So, say person X had a
transaction on vacation Y; you would then need a set of accounts such as:

 	Auto:Fuel:VacationY:PersonX
 	Auto:Fuel:VacationY:PersonA
 	etc.

(2)  which leads to the second problem: the overlays are not explicitly
hierarchical.  Say I had an expense associated with PersonX but not
VacationY.  I'd then have to have a PersonX account associated with every
reasonable level of the account hierarchy, which doesn't seem like a
practicable solution.

What I was really thinking about was just some sort of tag associated with
the transaction on which I could filter reports.

It sounds like I might be able to co-opt some other text field(s) for this
purpose, but it would be something of a hack job to do so,