clueless beginner needs basic advice

john johnjeannette at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 4 00:08:10 EDT 2007

I might be in over my head with this program.
I'm wishing for a replacement for quicken basic that I can use in
debian. Installing gnucash was easy because I could use synaptic package
manager. Opening a file and choosing s simple checking account was easy.
Importing a quicken qif file was easy. Making sense out of the results
has been a confusing problem. I am not a accountant. I don't find
complicated bookkeeping to be interesting. Every month I have the same 3
or so deposits and write the same 10-15 checks. What I want is a program
similar to quicken where I have a long list of checks going out and
deposits coming in arranged by the date on the left with a running
balance on the right all on the same very long page. Quicken had a lot
of complicated extra features but I was allowed to ignore all of them
and keep things understandable at my level.
So here's the question.
If I stick it out and learn how to use this program am I going to be
able to set it up as described above or is that too contrary to the
double entry style of thinking. Gnucash is obviously a very slick
program but I can't tell if it is what I need. It would be very
frustrating to have to learn it just to find out that I can't use it.
I'm not finding a clear example of anyone using gnucash this way so I
have to ask.
Thanks,
John