Need some help with Split Transactions

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Apr 9 13:25:18 EDT 2007

On Monday 09 Apr 2007, K-B wrote:

> --- In an account called "Income:Ebay Income":
> - Make a new transaction with $32.00 in the Income field
> - Split off $10.00 into an account called "Expenses:Shipping"
> - Split off $2.00 into an account called "Income:Handling"
> - What's left (20.00) should stay in this account
>
> But that method doesn't work! It always comes up with an Imbalance. What I
> had wanted to do is enter the total amount paid by the customer, then put
> the Shipping into it's correct account, then the Handling into it's correct
> account. After I take off those two, what's left would be what the cost of
> the item was, before shipping & handling. And that would stay in the
> account where the transaction is based (i.e. Income:Ebay Income)
>
> Any ideas on how to achieve this or what I'm doing wrong?

Hi,

You are close, but you need to understand that in GC, money has to come from
(and go to) somewhere.  (double-entry accounting - it is covered in the
concepts guide, more fully than I can explain here)

For the sake of argument, i assume that the $32 is actually in your checking
account:

the split is then something like:

Checking: 	$32
Income:HandlingFees	$2