Account Codes

David Hampton gnucash at love2code.net
Sun Apr 15 11:59:18 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 23:37 -0700, Robert Smits wrote:
> I'm adding a bunch of accounts receivable. When I go to add one, one line says
> account code. What is the account code used for? And why do I want an account
> code AND an account name?

Accounting codes are a method of organizing your accounts.  They are
more commonly used in traditional accounting systems, are supported in
gnucash, but are completely optional in gnucash.  Typical use in gnucash
is to force non-alphabetical ordering of sub-accounts within any given
account, since the account code is the primary sort field.

David