What is GnuCash for?

linuxforrealpeople martin-porter at beeb.net
Mon Apr 16 08:11:12 EDT 2007

I would like to ask the designers who they see as their target customer.

I suspect it is SOHO - small businesses and personal users - the kind of
people who use Quicken in Windows world (to which GC bears a spooky
resemblance), people like me who love Quicken but hate Windows.

What I would like to ask the people behind GC is: Do you think it is mere
coincidence that the documentation behind the worlds best selling personal
finance package (Quicken) makes not one mention of double entry
book-keeping?

The concept of double entry book-keeping is of interest (and understood by)
accountants only (and clever programmers who think they need to understand
it). Mention d.e.b.c to anyone else and their eyes glaze over. It is a bit
like insisting that every car owner needs to understand the inner workings
of the combustion engine.

There are lots of things that are good in GnuCash; it is for instance the
only piece of software that was able to import over 10 years worth of
Quicken history without mangling it but I believe that the user interface
needs to be sharpened a little to accomodate real people and become a real
Quicken killer.

If anyone at GnuCash cares I am happy to expand my thesis and offer my time
and eneregy. Otherwise, goodnight and goodbye.