What is GnuCash for?

David Brown gnucash at davidb.org
Mon Apr 16 12:23:22 EDT 2007

David Hampton wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 09:22 -0500, Dale Alspach wrote:
>> Gnucash currently is more on the level of Quickbooks rather than Quicken.
>> Quickbooks does expose the double entry system. It may be that the
>> developers will need to go one way or the other or fork the project into
>> two.
>
> Quicken also exposes the double entry system.  It just uses the name
> income and expense *category* instead of income and expense *account*.

And distinguishes too much between "transfers" and expenses and
income.  I've also found that it too easily breaks appart the two
parts of a "transfer" since they appear as two unbalanced
transactions.

I personally would call it a bit of a stretch to refer to Quicken as
double-entry.  It tries too hard to not be.

Dave