Splitting a file into years

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 17 17:05:14 EDT 2007

Quoting Carl Wagner <cwagster at gmail.com>:

> I have a file I started on 1/1/2006 to the present.  I would to split
> this file into two files one for 2006 and the other for 2007. Is this
> possible to do?  If so,  could you please send me to a How to section.

What I do is just:

  cp 2006 2007

And then leave all the old data in there.   GnuCash itself does not have
a tool to do what you want.  Jonathan Kamens sent a perl script to
the list (either this of -devel, I forget) a few years ago which can
be used to strip out some transactions, but I dont know if it
will properly keep your books balanced.