Newbie-Q: Creating a set of similar accounts

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 18 09:40:11 EDT 2007

Derek -

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Create multiple data files.

Thanks for the suggestion. I see how to create separate files, but not
how to use them.

What I specifically want to do is create a subaccount structure for [say]
one type rental property that has a well-defined set of expense
categories, and then reproduce that structure in a simple
'obejct-oriented' way for other similar properties with the same
categories. By some strange coincidence, this matches the breakdown I need
for tax returns. &8-)

Duplicate data files would certainly handle multiple, similar subaccounts,
but then how should I consolidate several properties to represent my
overall rental activities under a single top-level account?

> Quoting John Mills <johnmills at speakeasy.net>:

> > I want to create a set of account/subaccount branches to keep track of
> > similar expenses for parallel activities. Is there a handy way to "clone"
> > accounts this way?

I'm just learning how to use GNUCash and probably still have a heavy
'Quicken' accent to my approach, specifically in fixating on a single
master-file with numerous sub-accounts. Nor (unfortunatley) do I have any
formal accountancy background.

Best regards.

 - John Mills