How is gnucash working on the mac?

Beth Leonard beth at oasis.slimy.com
Thu Apr 19 02:22:56 EDT 2007

[Please reply on-list, it's not automatic for this list, my comments
below. --Beth]

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 07:15:51AM -0700, Oliver Iberien wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 April 2007 23:16:38 Beth Leonard wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 10:53:04PM -0700, Oliver Iberien wrote:
> > > I'm getting pretty close to cashiering my FreeBSD system and getting a
> > > Mac. Looking over recent postings, I see the problems people have had
> > > getting gnucash to run on the Mac, and I don't see any stable
> > > distributions at fink.com. but presumably there are more success stories
> > > than failures? Are there reasonable numbers of people out there happily
> > > getting it to work?
> >
> > Not what you're looking for, but I couldn't resist tossing in my $0.02
> > because I was so happy this turned out to be easier than I'd feared.
> >
> > I have gnucash 2.0.4 running on my linux server and X running under
> > MacOS X (came in the intall disks from Apple, but I had to check the
> > box to install it as an optional package).  I use "ssh -Y" to ssh to
> > the linux server and run gnucash to display on the mac.  And I didn't
> > have to install anything at all on the mac, it just worked and I could
> > use my enormous macintosh screen to do my accounting.
>
> Actually, that's brilliant. I was thinking of getting a Mac laptop but was
> worried about keeping all my accounting information on something that could
> so easily go astray.
>
> Do you back up the Mac to the server by any chance? If so, how easily does
> that go?

My datafile actually resides on the server, not on the mac.  The server
is backed up regularly, my mac is not.  (Which is another reason I
like to run gnucash directly on the server.)

--Beth
Beth Leonard
http://www.LeonardFamilyVideos.com