Reconcile: non-zero Starting Balance

Steve Kelem steve at kelem.net
Tue Apr 24 13:25:29 EDT 2007

When I try to reconcile my brokerage account for the first time,
I get an error with the starting balance.
GC thinks that I have a starting balance of around $500,000!
My hierarchy looks like the following:

Assets
  Investments
    Brokerage Account
      Primo Investments
        Funds
          Global Slush Fund
        Stocks
          MegaCorp

The starting dates for these transactions is 1999-3-1, and I'm trying to
get GnuCash to reconcile all this old data that I imported from Quicken.

I have reconciled the leaf-level accounts for March 1999.
When I try to reconcile the parent, Primo Investments, GnuCash shows a
starting balance of $500,000 for this account, even though no
transactions are before March 1999 in any of the accounts under Primo
Investments.

After this problem, I added an Opening Balance transfer of 0 shares from
Equity:Opening Balances to every account from Primo on down to all the
leaf accounts under it.
I have run the Check & Repair command, and I still get the wrong
Starting Balance.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Steve