gnucash for mac

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 24 20:36:46 EDT 2007

At this point, you'll want to use either fink or macports. In either
case, you'll be building from source, but both are reasonably
automated. They will each take a fair amount of time, since you have
to download and/or build a lot of dependencies in the gnome realm.

I use fink. (I'm the gnucash 2.0-and-above maintainer.) See http://
www.finkproject.org/download/index.php?phpLang=en for info on how to
get started installing fink. In fink, the gnucash 2.0.x series is
called gnucash2.

Derek prefers macports. It does have the advantage that usually (once
you install macports) all you have to do is kick off the gnucash
install and come back in 12 hours and you should be ready to go. See
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts
for info on getting started with macports.

Fink is more careful about maintaining dependency compatibility than
macports is, but that probably won't get in your way. Eventually, I
hope to have a binary gnucash available from fink, but it isn't there
yet, and it will be missing online banking direct connections because
of cryptography policies/laws...

There isn't a Mac packaged app for gnucash yet. I think making one
would be a maintainance nightmare, but some other folks are looking
in that direction. If gnucash is the only gnome app you'll ever want,
having a downloadable app might make sense (but it would be around
150MB in size). Otherwise, having a downloadable version is bloatware
of MS proportions.

Dave

--
David Reiser