stock adjustments

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 30 18:03:24 EDT 2007

rlu53417 at earthlink.net writes:

> What stops you from doing your own share calculation up front instead
> of relying on their bad numbers?
>
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 10:45:30PM -0700, Steve Kelem wrote:
>> The problem is that for ING Retirement accounts, the # shares in transactions don't add up to the amount
>> in their summary lines.  One of the ING reps said it's because internally they compute # shares to 6 decimal points, but tell their customers about only 3 of those decimals, so the numbers "may not add up."  For example, the sum of # shares in transactions comes to 73.003 shares, but the ING summary shows 73.000 or 73.006 shares.
>>
>> So that I can reconcile my Gnucash representation of this account, I need to add dummy transactions.
>> My question is "What's the best form for this dummy transaction?"

Yeah, I'd go back and try to recompute the actual share amounts
instead of trying to "fudge" it later.  You can even set gnucash to
use 6 digits, but then you might need to guess exactly how many shares
you're getting.  Are the PRICES accurate?  You only need two of the
three values to be accurate:  #shares, price, $value.  The third can
be computed.   But note that GnuCash only stores #shares and $value,
so you should change the commodity SCU to increase it to 6 decimal
places if you choose this route.  But this is the route I suggest.