Gnucash v2.2.0 failing to launch (Windows version completely broken?)

Charles Duffy cduffy at spamcop.net
Sat Aug 4 03:07:23 EDT 2007

John Roberts wrote:
> Just tried installing the "Microsoft Loopback Adapter", but it didn't work
> for me.  On my system gnucash-bin.exe seems to be waiting for a response
> from another program (gconfd-2.exe possibly?) -- the following is from the
> output from netstat -a -b while gnucash is sitting around failing to start:

...[examples showing some process connecting to localhost and others
bound to "[MyCurrentDhcpIpAddress]"]...

> I'm not sure why some of the connections say "localhost" and others use the
> IP address of the loopback connection adapter.

Wait a moment -- is the loopback adapter using your DHCP-assigned IP? It
should typically be something static off in RFC1918 space.

> Before banging my head against this too hard, perhaps I should ask whether
> ANYONE has managed to get the Windows version to work on a clean Windows XP
> (or Windows 2000) install?  I've tried googling for success stories,
> reviews, etc. but haven't found any...

Works great for me now that that one issue is fixed. (It also works fine
out-of-the-box on my wife's clean Vista system, though that's hardly the
same thing).

The first time I ran it after I installed the Loopback Adapter, the
Windows Firewall asked permission for GnuCash to access the network; I
granted it, and everything has worked swimmingly since.

I *did* delete the orbit-my_username and gconfd-my_username directories
from c:\Documents and Settings\My Username\Local Settings\Temp after
making the network-configuration changes (as I'd been doing on testing
every attempted fix).