oops -- should have gone to list, not just Josh

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Aug 6 22:49:18 EDT 2007

> This is a great find.  Please file a bug for the issue at
> <http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=GnuCash>.
>
> When you say "will {,not} work properly", do you mean "basically
> startup at
> all"?  Like, with a space-and-/or-ampersand-containing username,
> gnucash won't
> start up, but with a "simple" username it will?

No Josh --- GnuCash more or less works in the sense that you can start
up, create a set of books, save those, enter transactions in those, save
them etc. But what you CAN'T do is save any preference changes. You
can't (for example) turn off  "tip of the day", can't change the save
frequency from 5 minutes to 10, etc. This is the problem which I
initially reported having and which I first assumed was something I had
perhaps done wrong when first using GnuCash. It was after testing, first
in the "administrator" account and then in a test account without
administrator privilege (worked fine in both cases) that I tracked it
down to the account name dependence.

I've joined the devl list and posted a description of the problem there.
I will of course post a bug report, but am first looking for a developer
to point me to the right subsystem since if possible, I'd like to
include the coding error along with the bug report. This isn't an urgent
bug. More of a nuisance problem than a serious show stopper as likely
very few XP users have a space in the name let alone an ampersand (it's
probably the space -- many is the time I have seen a programmer go
astray incorrectly assuming that a string couldn't legitimately contain
a space).

MEANWHILE -- if any end users report the problem "can't save preference
changes" we should ask what user name they use. The easiest work around
is that they create a special account in which to run GnuCash (changing
the name of their regular account is NOT simple. Oh yes Windows will
allow an administrator to do this. But then all the path data in their
non MS application data becomes invalid -- their T'Bird or F'Fox or
SeaMonkey, etc. "profiles" won't work without path tweaking --- and that
includes GnuCash user data (take a look at the contents of your file
.gtk-bookmarks for example)

Michael

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.